The Council of Arab Ministers of Housing and Urban Development is affiliated to the League of Arab States. It comprises ministers responsible for or specialised in housing and urban development.
Objectives of the Council
The primary objective of the Council of Arab Ministers of Housing and Urban Development is to enhance cooperation and streamline efforts among Arab nations in the fields of housing and urban development. This is to be achieved through the following key mechanisms:
- Fostering knowledge sharing and collaboration through the exchange of research findings, legislative frameworks, empirical studies, scientific and practical experiences, and best practices in the realm of housing and urban development.
- Drawing upon the wealth of expertise within housing and construction research centres, technical and vocational training institutions, and technical cooperation programmes to facilitate the establishment of similar centres in Arab nations that express a keen interest in acquiring such facilities.
- Exchanging experts, technicians, technologies, technical regulations, and organising conferences, seminars, and workshops in the housing and urban development sector among member countries.
- Utilising the private sector and Arab investors to cooperate in financing housing and urban development projects between member countries, with a focus on low-cost housing projects.
- Benefiting from the cooperation of the public and private sectors in establishing joint Arab offices for architectural studies and housing projects.
- Utilising both the public and private sectors and Arab investors to cooperate in establishing joint industries for construction and development materials and equipment.
- Harnessing the capabilities of both the public and private sectors to collaborate on the establishment of joint Arab contracting enterprises aimed at facilitating the execution of housing and infrastructure initiatives.
- Preserving the authentic cultural heritage and Arab character within the scope of contemporary urban development in the Arab world while proposing appropriate methods to preserve this heritage.
- Coordinating between ministries and authorities responsible for housing and urban development in member countries and other entities concerned with the environment to protect the environment from pollution.
- Exchanging technologies and means related to the prevention of earthquakes and natural disasters.
- Consolidating endeavours in the domain of building safety and implementing pertinent regulations to monitor and guarantee such safety across the Arab world. This entails incorporating standards and specifications for building safety into the technical guidelines and overall specifications for construction projects.
- Unifying, developing, and updating general specifications, standards, and technical standards used in Arab countries in the field of housing and urban development and gradually activating their implementation.
- Researching building economics and means to reduce costs, with a focus on affordable housing, low-income housing, and charitable housing.
- Instituting awards on a regional Arab scale to recognise and reward Arab technicians and institutions engaged in materialising the genuine Arab identity in housing and urban planning ventures.
The fudmental System(Available in Arabic).pdf